What technical support can usefully be given in assistance to the story=

Subject: What technical support can usefully be given in assistance to the story=
Embedded in this story, technology contributes the authentic songs/calls of=
 the birds and bird photos. The story is told in front of a small screen wh=
ere photos of the birds appear from a rear screen projector so that I have =
freedom of movement as a storyteller, and never step in front of the beam o=
f light.  In a classic storytelling session, the listener would imagine the=
 way the birds look and sound.  But this is a marriage fact and fancy.  It =
is an informance, and I have goals that involve learning some identifying c=
haracteristics of the birds.  The 'facts' of authentic song and photos are =
made explicit and not imagined.

What equipment was used?
Windows laptop computer with Power Point 2003.  Digital (DLP or LCD) projec=
tor (600x800 resolution) which can reverse images on screen.  VGA cable.  S=
ound amplifier and speakers, and/or microphone setup.  4x6 foot table, or t=
wo desks, on which to place the computer and projector. Translucent Screen =
(about 27x36 inches) which can be positioned about 4 feet in front of proje=
ctor made of a 27-30 inch wide window shade or embroidery backing material.=
 Rigid stand or freestanding support for the screen-- a large picture frame=
 or laundry rack. Set of digital picture files of individual bird pictures.=
 Resolution 600x800. ( .jpg is best format.)  Set of sound files of individ=
ual bird songs. (.wav or .mp3 format). Table of picture and sound file name=
s correlated by bird name
=09
What did we do?
We needed was to obtain the use of professional pictures and sounds and a s=
oftware program to display them in concert with the narrative. Eight birds =
was the magic number. Each of the eight=97great blue heron, snowy egret, ma=
llard duck, wood duck, Canada Goose, Red Tailed Hawk, and Great Horned Owl =
could be easily observed and heard in most seasons at the preserve. The dig=
ital pictures we got from our nature center volunteers were very good. We c=
ould see the outline of the heron=92s body; the characteristic feathers on =
the head; the enormous wingspan; the long spindly legs; the long beak. The =
habitat background, especially the nest, is correct for each species. The p=
ictures were in .jpg format, at a high 600x800 resolution, and about 1 MB i=
n file size. (Internet thumbnails do not have enough resolution and picture=
 quality to be projected.) We used them =93as is=94 without enhancements ot=
her than cropping
=09
The sounds were another matter. None of our local contacts had the speciali=
zed equipment to record in the field.  We needed the adult heron croak, the=
 sqwawks of immature herons in the nest, the quack quack of dabbling and di=
ving ducks, the cackling geese=85the scream of the red tailed hawk and the =
great horned owl.
=09
We asked permission to use the Cornell Ornithology Lab=92s (Macaulay, 2006)=
 recorded sounds of  our eight birds. After six months we got them. They ne=
eded to be amplified and converted to .mp3 format for convenient use in the=
 Power Point presentation program. We imported the pictures into Power Poin=
t in the order they were to appear in the narrative. Then we embedded the s=
ounds onto the pictures. A small icon is displayed wherever it is needed on=
 the picture allowing the operator to double click on it in order to produc=
e an instantaneous response of the bird=92s traditional sounds, and another=
 click to silence the sound, so as not to override the storyteller=92s voic=
e or interfere with the progress of the story. The storyteller cues in the =
sound by requesting a specific response to the phrase, =93If you are my mot=
her, could you sing me your song?=94 The requested bird sings, digitally.

How did the marriage of Fact and Fancy work out?
As the storyteller moves through the story, the individual bird pictures ar=
e projected onto a 24x36 inch rear projection screen surface. Power Point h=
as the capability of image reversal, as do most digital projectors, so that=
 the image is displayed correctly. The pictures are advanced by clicking th=
e proper arrow, either on the keyboard or the PowerPoint screen. In slide s=
how mode the icon for stopping the sound doesn=92t work well, so the operat=
or needs to bring the sound volume down, and then back up for the next pict=
ure. A student could be retained as the operator.

The beauty of rear projection (as opposed to front projection) is that it a=
llows the room lights to be left on and does not require room darkening sha=
des or curtains.  The other advantage of rear projection is that the storyt=
eller can stand next to the picture and not walk in the path of the light b=
eam, and can maintain selective eye contact which is necessary for a genuin=
ely successful storytelling experience.
=09
The screen material is a choice of the least expensive light transmitting w=
indow shade (with the spring-loaded core removed), or a similar sized piece=
 of embroidery backing fabric stretched between two vertical supports.  We =
used a freestanding metal laundry rack and some clothespins to stretch the =
screen taut and flat. Two woodshop clamps with the screen stretched between=
 them would work well on a typical classroom desk or table. In the field, t=
ent poles or badminton poles would work well as long as the screen is arran=
ged so as not to flap or catch the wind.
=09
When the story is finished, the projectionist moves backward through the so=
unds, without the pictures (by blocking the light from the projector with a=
 manila folder). This is to allow audience recall by sound alone. If prompt=
ing is needed, the operator can remove the folder and momentarily reveal th=
e picture. Power Point is not yet sophisticated enough to achieve this effe=
ct. If the picture is turned off, or a blank picture frame is inserted, the=
 icon is not available to bring up the sound.
=09
What could you do?=09

Could this informance project be done by one teacher working alone? Not lik=
ely!  It requires collaboration. You will also need a capable and responsib=
le student assistant. He/she must be familiar with manipulating digital pho=
tographs, and playing sound files from within Power Point, operating a lapt=
op computer and a digital projector together, controlling sound playback an=
d being able to remember where the pictures and sounds fit into the story. =
There is a new digital presentation program called =93Inspiration=94 (Inspi=
ration, 2006) which seems better suited to teacher and student use.
=09
Could this informance project be adapted and used for other birds or animal=
s? Yes! One particularly good use would be to scan student art work that re=
lates to the story and project it on this system As long as your informance=
 program stays in the classroom, you could use other pictures under fair us=
e provisions, and copyrighted work with appropriate written permission. You=
 should think very carefully before loading any of these pictures or sounds=
 onto a public website.