recording very high frequency with standard mics

Subject: recording very high frequency with standard mics
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am ((PDT))
Someone asked and I could not quickly find who because you people have
been active the last week or so.

How high will a standard mic go.

Someone else with more experience than me would have to comment on
what the freq response curve of a gas grill bbq piezo starter is but
it seems to go into RF frequencies.

Testing two standard mics with the bbq starter I noted that on
multiple sparks that the spectrum display looks identical each time.
Then changing mics I get a different pattern that once again does not
change from spark to spark.  So I conclude that an electrical spark is
a way to check the freq capability of your equipment.  I have no idea
if this method could be dangerous to electronic devices and would not
be surprised if there is a risk.

In the linked photograph the ME-62 is the spark on the left and the
AT3032 is the spark on the right.  I guess without further guidance we
are stuck drawing our own conclusions.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/highmic.jpg

I actually am setting up to test the attenuation of my windscreen
system and just posted this to put it out there.  I could find no info
on the attenuation change when using a Rycote Blimp.  If anyone knows
I would like that info to compare with what I am getting with my
homebrew blimp.

Rich Peet