SD722 power usage

Subject: SD722 power usage
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:59 am ((PDT))
Continued from my post on the Sound Trap, I indicated that I needed to
do the math to determine my battery capacity.

Measurements:
Inorder for me to measure a meaningful change with my equipment I need
a current change of greater than .02 amps or roughly a quarter watt.

Turned on unit with pre-amp on and phantom off. After 30 secs noted
.44 to .46 amps at 12.5 v

Turned "Stealth" mode on (all display lights off) no difference seen.

Turned mic phantom on without mics.  No difference seen.
Plugged two at3032 into unit.  No difference seen

Play audio file stereo 24/44.1 inhdd . range .50 to .60 at 12.5v

Play audio file stereo 24/44.1 CF card.  .50 to .51 at 12.5 v

Switch on Timed record for a future event. Stereo 24/44.1.  .45 to .46
at 12.5

Recording Stereo 24/44.1. to CF Flash. .45 to .46

Recording Stereo 24/44.1 to Inhdd. .50 to .70. Current jumps every few
seconds when a write to hard drive is done.

Unit comes with a  unit comes with a 4,600 mah at 7.2 volts. Because
A*V=3DWatts lets just call this battery a  33 watt/hr battery.

I use a second sealed lead acid battery as an external battery that is
7,000 mah at 12 volts. So lets call that a 84 watt/hr battery.

Unit has a neat power supply. My 7.2 volt batter is not used at all
until my lead acid battery drops below 8 volts. 8 volts on a 12 volt
battery is pretty dead.  Therefore I can call my current power
available to be 127 watt/hrs.

Conclusions
For my application I note:
Recorder waiting for timer to start the recorder equals a capacity of
greater than 21 hours.
Recorder recording at 24/44.1 to internal hard drive. Gives me a
capacity  greater than 17 hours.

The only time you have to think about power usage on the sd722 is when
you are using only the supplied battery and don't have an extra or
some form of external.. Recording with just the supplied battery will
give you 4.5 hours and on just waiting to record just under 6 hours.

Disclaimer
Your results may vary and I am not submitting this to Sound Devices as
I am not an engineer.

Rich Peet

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,