2. Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!

Subject: 2. Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 pm ((PDT))

>But we don't want people to think there aren't
>promising options for quiet, reliable phantom
>powering.

I am not sure that I understand you correctly.

Of course there are such options, but how do we know?

I don't think I would have observed my FR2 noise if Lindsay hadn't
pointed it out first. Not before I ended up in perfect conditions!
Perhaps missed a "perfect" recording!
And I am not sure that Lindsey would have observed it, if it had
started instantly when he switched the recorder on. Not before....

There are ways to make good powering and I was sure that the Fostex
FR2 was okay. It wasn't.
I now understand better the Sony guy whom I asked why the TCD-D10
didn't have phantom power. He said that it was better for Sony if
other manufacturers had to solve that problem, by selling separate
power boxes.

So there are reasons to be suspicious. I don't want people to get
noisy recordings. And if they do, I don't want them to blame Telinga for it=
.

Anyway, I just tested the PRO6 handle with the SD702 and it works just perf=
ect.

Klas.

>So far with mkh30, 40, 80, mbho 603's, AT3032's
>and NT1A's, both my Rolls PB224 and my Art
>Phantom II portable phantom power supplies have
>not produced performance variations I could
>detect through long hours under -10 degree to 90
>degrees in high humidity. I run the units only on
>12 volts, not the 9 volt batteries -- a possible
>factor. I keep the units out of the elements but
>give them no other special precautions.  Rob D.

It might be a device that works. Congrats! / Klas.