Re: Doubts regarding the IB Woodpecker

Subject: Re: Doubts regarding the IB Woodpecker
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 am ((PDT))
> Doubts regarding the IB Woodpecker
>     Posted by: "Roger Norwood"  bigrogsound
>     Date: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:38 am ((PDT))

The article is kind of dated now, three years later. The hot area is now
in Florida. I know a half dozen very good field biologists who have been
down there. Several managed to record the double tap sound, and some saw
flying birds. One even had a female Ivory Billed perched on a tree, but
the AF of his camera failed to work well and he did not get a photo in
the moments before it flew. Certainly the Id no longer depends on that
old video, I'd have to agree on it, it's not very definitive.

It's only a matter of time until a more experienced photographer gets
good photos by the sound of it. I've been in that area, but I was
looking for Pine Barrens Treefrogs. Note those frogs, which are fairly
common in a large part of the Florida panhandle and up into Alabama were
not discovered there until the 1970's. Someone in England just does not
understand how much unexplored land we still have. Or how few people are
looking.