Re: Rode NT1-A comments?

Subject: Re: Rode NT1-A comments?
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Fri Mar 9, 2007 2:24 am ((PST))
At 17.52 08/03/2007, you wrote:
><>
>I know there are recordists here that use the Rode NT1-A. I have listend t=
>some awesome samples posted here. On paper it seems like a really nice
>microphone with extremely low noise and is relatively inexpensive. The cas=
>design won't work for me, so I would be throwing that away. I would like t=
>know how you like the NT1-A?

I like a lot the NT1A because of their quietness. I like using them
spaced of about 17cm mounted with their acoustic axes angled of about
60-90 degrees. I don't like larger angles.

>Are you having any issues with the microphone,
>in general or in the field?

I used them in cold and wet conditions, under rain too, and never
failed. I use two Reinhardt Windshield Foams to protect them.
If wind become an issue I further cover them with a sock of very soft
and hairy wool.
The only problem is weight and size.

>I am a little concerned that they are relatively
>inexpensive compared with other microphones in the low noise class. Does t=
he
>low cost mean they don't last very long in a field environment or sound
>awful?

as they are so cheap you could easily buy two more for backup...

>Any other microphone suggestions?

there are some other options, but more expensive. in some cases much
more expensive. you should look at the spreadsheet published on the
Rob Danielson webpages.
it is also important to consider the "colour" or "quality" of the
noise... for example I don't like the Sennheiser MKH70 because it is
very hissy.

I could suggest a pair of Telinga EM23. I like them because they are
small, reliable, and their noise is "warm". My EM23s have a small box
to provide PIP.

>Anyone using the NT1-A with a MicroTrack 24/96's phantom power?

To get benefit from quiet mic you also need a quiet preamplifier/AD.
The MicroTrack is so noisy that it completely covers the noises of
quiet microphones and make them all equal.
I don't know if this maybe depends on the weak power. I never tried
to record by providing phantom power with something like the Rolls PB224.

>I couldn't get any definite answers from Rode tech support on the
>phantom supply needs.
>I know the Microtrack's Phantom is weak, so I am working on building a
>48-Volt Phantom, ultra-low noise mic preamp to line and digital out board.

I used the CoreSound Mic2496 with the NT1A and recorded through
digital input on the MicroTrack with excellent results. This solution
was only 2-3 dB noisier than the NT1A connected to the SoundDevices 722.
I used a pre-production Mic2496, maybe current units are better than mine.

Gianni

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra
CIBRA organizes the XXI IBAC Congress, Pavia, 15-18 September 2007