Introduction, and thoughts wanted.

Subject: Introduction, and thoughts wanted.
From: "RAF" amflmnt
Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 5:29 pm ((PST))
The impetus for taking up recording again (I had my first cassette
recorder at age 9)is from 2 sources: Joachim-Ernst Berendt's,"The
Third Ear", which I picked up in the 90's and listening to BBC Radio
4 programming; specifically; "Open Country" and "Nature".  After a
bit of research, 48 bookmarks, and 8 PDF papers later, equipment
choice boiled down to just deciding on something decent and then
working it.  Technology is such, that anything had now will most
likely yield useable results, it also means that I'm standing on the
shoulders of giants.  Thank you.

Still, despite my aural tendency, this beginner likes to see "it"
when it comes to representative examples of working set-ups=85there's
not much out there for this sort of thing, lots of talk/manifests/off-
hand snapshots but not much deliberately displayed.  So for the
benefit of those like myself, here is my set up "seen":

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3Daudiogearrm6.jpg

Tascam HD-P2(4 GB CFM); 4060 DPA mics w/9V supply(Core Sound HEB);
Sound Devices MixPre; and Bose OE headphones w/1/4" adapter.  I also
acquired the venerable Sony PCM-M1 for some experience in the shift
between the two recording methodologies and aural qualities. All
protected in a Kata Sundo-1 mixer bag.

An HD-P2 observation: with the SD MixPre attached, a recording level
of zero on the HP-P2 is not zero, more like .5 .  As such, I use the
MixPre for individual recording levels and the HD-P2's levels
adjustment as an overall gain control.  The HD-P2's on board -20 dB
PAD then allows for more selective (normal?) recording levels.  PADs
off, the HD-P2 will record everything the 4060's pick up, talk about
environmental recording! This set-up appears to reflect the Oade
Bros. HD-P2 mod offering but the MixPre allows for more control, two
high-pass filter choices, and MS or XY recording configurations, or
is it the case that I have executed a mismatch of things?  This then
is up for comments as to what may be going on.

A DPA 4060 observation: The 4060's will not fail under very muggy
conditions indeed: trapped humidity inside a two-seater during a
downpour for 45 min.

An observation on headphones:  My first test with any headphone is to
put them on unplugged as a combined "self-noise" test. I look for
isolation in a headphone since I get confused distinguishing between
the recording and the real-world noises that come through during a
playback review while still in the recording area. I've tried 4
different headphones, Sennheiser, 2 Sony's, and the Bose.  All
sounded differently and I preferred the playback through and
isolation of the Bose OE's best. I may not be correct in their
choice, si I can't say it's a recommendation.

This, then, comes to my question for the experienced:  If you turn
the gain or volume up on anything, you'll hear unwanted noises.
Given this, how do you approach striking a balance between setting
recording levels and adjusting volume for the monitoring headphones
at the front end of things to (hopefully) minimize post work?

Thanks again and glad to have found the group,
-Robert Flemate