Re: Noises of Nature/Bernie Kause

Subject: Re: Noises of Nature/Bernie Kause
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:18 am ((PST))
Congratulations Bernie! - For the well deserved exposure of your work.

I notice the article now requires a log-in or a promotional
subscription to read it - maybe it will become available once the
publishing date 2/18 has passed.

The author Jeff Hull gives literary strength to Bernie's important
hypothesis by contrasting it with Greenfield's rash dismissal --
however, clearly this is a non-scientific and knee-jerk dismissal.
What does "just getting along" even mean in evolutionary terms of
complex responses and feedback systems?  One thing for sure is
competition does not always come down to violent clashes, and survival
often requires a lot of giving =96 not only taking.

Bernie's hypothesis is a genuine contribution to evolutionary science,
deserving of actual scientific rebuttals =96 not just one other's
patronizing slap.  Is there really any scientific work supporting a
"let's all get along" scenario?  If so, that might be an appropriate
rebuttal.

John Hartog

--- In  Wild Sanctuary <> wrote:

> Thanks for the kind note, Kevin.
>
> It's taken about 40 years to figure out what humans instinctively
> knew about the sounds of the natural world eons ago when we lived
> much closer to the natural world and heard the thrum of sounds around
> us. I found Greenfield's rebuttal odd, or else he misinterpreted the
> intent. It's not a new age "let's all get along" hypothesis, it is
> evolution like any other, where species co-evolve to distibute the
> sound in the space of time and acoustic turf like any other resource.
> And it's taken a very long and frustrating time to get some sense
> that the evolutionary biology community, in which I count myself a
> member, supported it. "Who speaks of victory? To endure is
> everything!" said the German poet, Rilke.
>
> Keep recording everyone. The world needs your dedication to this effort,
> Bernie
>
> >Greetings All,
> >
> >Check out this nicely written article regarding the pioneering work
> >in bioacoustics by Bernie Krause:
> >

>http://select.nytimes.com/preview/2007/02/18/magazine/1154665179154.html?e=
x=3D1171688400&en=3D2cc99ddd1a7f006f&ei=3D5121&emc=3Deta1