Recording recommendations?

Subject: Recording recommendations?
From: "Phil Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sat Feb 3, 2007 2:23 am ((PST))
Hi
I finally managed to get out the other day and do some recording with
the kit I have managed to get together off ebay.
Sony NH900 and K6/ME66.
I went to a local wood which is not the quietest, what with planes and
traffic, but it was the easiest and nearest given the time I had.
Anyway I was fortunate to catch a couple of Great-Spotted Woodpeckers
have a drumming session, something I have always wanted to capture.
You can hear it here if you are interested:

http://www.astd59.dsl.pipex.com/Sounds.html

It's mono of course, hope you don't mind.

So I am looking to see what the more experienced of you out there think.
Would you say the recording level was about right?
[I was quite surprised how reverberant some of the sounds come out,
especially the ducks. While other sounds, sounded really close but in
fact were from birds some distance away.]
I encoded the original wav as an MP3 at 192kb/sec, is this OK or would
a higher bit rate be recommended?
Any other thoughts / recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil