Re: Large Diaphragm mics in low temperatures

Subject: Re: Large Diaphragm mics in low temperatures
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:26 pm ((PST))
I do have two NT2000's, and maybe I'll work down to the low temperatures in
stages-I'd hate to kill a diaphragm finding out. I'm very curious about the
low-temp noise, though, and maybe that will make the experiment worth the
risk.

Just as a point of reference, I bought two NT2000's and one had noise at
room temperature, sounded like loud shot noise (intermittent low-volume
crackle). I sent it back and the replacement sounds okay. I looked over the
bad mic's circuits and saw no obvious problem like a cold solder joint that
I could fix myself.

Rob, I like the idea of an outdoor version of a mic. I'm pretty sure we're
getting to be the most demanding mic users in terms of noise and accuracy.
maybe a company could capitalize on that and release mics of "nature
recording quality."

Bruce Wilson KF7K
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson