Re: Ergonomic Barriers. Wildlife Recording Epiphany

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Barriers. Wildlife Recording Epiphany
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:23 pm ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> At 4:34 AM +0000 1/26/07, Rich Peet wrote:
>

> >My only recommendation would be to fill in the two missing sides with
> >another pair of mics.  I call that a Cube mic with triplets.
>
> Yes, but Tom's mic capsule diaphragms are mounted perpendicular to
> the boundaries. Perpendicular mounting seems to produce more front
> (center) "staging" in the stereo field compared to the flush mounting
> on perpendicular boundaries. In a surround rig, the arrangement might
> produce little more separation between front and back with warmer,
> slightly less articulate sides.
>
> >   Then you will have a choice of stereo pairs with different sound
> >field depths
> >as well as an ability to record 4 channel immersion surround using
> >your two md's.
>
> With perpendicular capsule mounting, the LF / LR  & RF / RR channels
> can still be paired as opposing omni's. It might be safer (in respect
> to timing/phasing) to pair-up the recorders/channels as front/back
> when recording on two, wild recorders. Rob D.
>

> >Nice long wires in the photo too.
> >
> >Rich Peet KD0AG

Hi Rich, Rob, Phil, Roger, Richard and the Group

Many thanks for your comments.

I do have a second set of triplets, based on the 35-0192s, that are
currently in my home made parabolic reflector

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/PC230088.JPG
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/TomR/P1270095.JPG

So it would be quite easy to make up a cube mic, and using two
identical MZ-NH1s to make four track recordings.

My problem would be what on earth to do with them when I've recorded
them?  I've only just managed to master the rudiments of Audacity and
do not have any other sound  type programs (other than SonicStage of
course).

I am windows XP Pro based - any reccommendations?

I am quite happy to make the recordings and supply the resulting discs
 for processing.

My apologies to non radio hams for the next couple of paragraphs but
they do have some relevance to my nature recording hobby.

Rich,  it looks like a long wire does'nt it.  In fact it is two delta
loops, one cut for 40m and one for 17m.  The saltmarsh in the
background of the photo is a terrific spot for HF DX.  I go there a
lot with my radio in my backpack and a vertical antenna fastened to
the backpack frame.  I talk as I walk and so far have contacted 120+
DXCC countries and worked five continents.

It was whilst doing this pedestrian mobile (/PM) operating that I had
my nature recording epiphany.  I was using an MZ-R30 to record my QSOs
and hot having had too many that particular day I was making my way
back home with the recorder running.  A flock of Brent Geese
approached and flew directly overhad to roost on the salt marsh 300
yards away.

Back home when I listened to the disc I was hooked.

Cheers

Tom Robinson - G0SBW