Balanced line and powering questions

Subject: Balanced line and powering questions
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:03 am ((PST))
Friends:

Sometimes my older MD recorder (Sony N707) and binaural microphone pair
works as an all-too-good radio receiver. So I spend a lot of time
wondering about what I can do to prevent the problem. This is a bit of
challenge because I'm best described as "electrically illiterate". Hence
some simple-minded questions for which I'd appreciate answers and/or
references from which I could start to learn some answers:

1) I think the microphone cable is "unbalanced" because, although it
seems to leave the microphones as a balanced line (with 2 conductors and
a ground/shield) one of the conductors in each line is attached to the
ground at the MD end of the cable --- where everything is reduced to a
single TSR connector. (This sort of connection is described, of example,
in the instructions for running WL183 microphones with PIP that I found
at Rob Danielson's fantastically useful web site,
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Shure-WL183s/index.htm) Am I
right that this essentially makes the whole connection unbalanced and
therefore more susceptible to things like noise from radio broadcasts?

2) Is there any potential advantage to keeping the microphone cable
connection balanced and performing some sort of conversion to unbalanced
just before plugging it into the recorder? Would this be accomplished
with a transformer that would somehow find the difference of the signals
in the two connectors? Is it something a normal mortal could build?