Re: Range Maps: vector graphics

Subject: Re: Range Maps: vector graphics
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 am ((PST))
Posted by: "jpbeale"

> GRASS is an open-source GIS application
> http://grass.itc.it/intro/index.php
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS
>
> It seems very powerful but I think fairly complex to learn. I am not
> familiar with it myself.

I've tried using Grass a few times. It's kind of for computer hobbiests,
not people who want a program that's simple to use. But, then, pretty
much every GIS program is like that. For actual work it's going to take
a lot more time than a program with a good interface would. It's written
by those folks who are way, way, way behind in writing usable
interfaces. A type of luddite.

We really need a good GIS program for the rest of us. People who have
something else we need to do than mess with computers. I keep looking.