Re: permissions for film ambiances

Subject: Re: permissions for film ambiances
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:59 am ((PST))
Every serious producer or sound professional editor in the industry
knows of the available libraries. There are dozens compiled and
uncompiled. Among them Disney, Universal, WB, Soundelux (Animal
Trax), LucasFilm, to name a few. Some of these are compiled by groups
such as Sound Ideas (Canada). Still, the best editors know that many
of the gems lie with the individual recordists, who've taken the time
to do their field work with a degree of excellence and variety not
often prevalent in the more commercial libraries. That's why the come
to some of us in the first place. Otherwise they'd stick to the
commercial libraries where they can get a whole collection of sounds
for a mere $450.00. One site on the internet we were looking at
yesterday has six CDs with over 6 hrs of material for $35.00 with an
unlimited license to use. There's no recordist listed and when we
asked, they responded with a name that we've never heard of and
cannot be Googled. Go figure.

For that reason, alone, we've withheld our library from the
commercial compilations precisely because it devalues the material.
And we won't do that. That's because it is our livelihood and we want
to maintain the integrity of what is there w/o having it diluted.
We're willing to take the chance that what we have can be obtained
for a nickel elsewhere.

Bernie

--
Wild Sanctuary