Re: permissions for film ambiances

Subject: Re: permissions for film ambiances
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am ((PST))
John, this is a large can o' worms...especially
for wild soundscape and critter recordists.
Because the industry (and the culture) pretty
much devalues sound, that defensive virus has
spread to the recordists who've spent their
lives, time, and financial resources capturing
these critical voices. We get asked all the time
by commercial production houses to license sound
for $50 - 100 per sound and categorically refuse
to do it. Then the producers come back to us with
the line that "Well, your colleagues just
licensed a batch of clips for an average of $35
per and you're way out of line." But that cuts
both ways.

To the extent that we all value what we do as
recordists, pricing our efforts comparable to
what serious image houses (Getty, Corbis,
Aperature, and others) charge for a graphic,
raises the value of our work to a range that
makes some sense. Otherwise, we're buying into
the philosophy that what we do continues to have
little worth. By lo-balling ourselves, we
perpetuate the thesis throughout the industry and
nothing changes. Sound ain't worth horsy manure.

It sounds to me like you have an opportunity,
here, to realize a good result from your work. It
may be worth it to contact a NJ attorney we work
with to help you put the project together so that
you get some benefit and so that your efforts are
protected. His name:  Doug Breitbart,
 and he's terrific, fair with
time and charges, and knows all media inside out.
He's also completely committed to strong
environmental conservation issues.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary