Acoustics of a dish

Subject: Acoustics of a dish
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 pm ((PST))
Having just listened to Jim's "Brown Canyon Storm" recording
(http://www.wingsofnature.com/downloads/, I listened to it many times on a=

row, great stuff there) I realize there is a fundamental difference between=

recording with a dish and recording with a studio pair: intimacy. Those dis=
recordings have a feel that the birds are close and the storm is distant,
exactly the opposite feel that I get with a similar recording I made with a=
ORTF pair of Rode NT2000's, where the wind and rumble feel closer than any=

of the birds, especially the canyon wrens.

So maybe I'll start a switch over to that technology. Thing is, I like the=

low end of the specturm as much as the highs.

So my questions are,

How does the diameter of a dish relate to the low-end response?

When the low end falls off, is it completely gone, or just 3 dB down? Does=

it get phasey?

What difference in the low end is there between using cards (facing the
dish) and omni's?

And finally, does using a dish narrow the stereo image much over an MS setu=
(which is about 45 to each side, in my experience), and does the low end
remain largely omnidirectional while the mid's and hi's become increasingly=

directional?

Bruce Wilson KF7K
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson