Re: "silence chamber"

Subject: Re: "silence chamber"
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:16 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Rob Danielson"

> Hi Klas--
> A floating wooden or metal stud wall booth with an exterior made of 2
> layers of 5/8" drywall and 8-12" of fiberglass batting on the inside
> can drop the ambient level 40dB, maybe 45-46dB. I made the interior
> walls by jamb-fitting homesote sound paneling. Two layers of carpet
> on the floor. The biggest challenge/expense is the entrance door and
> seal. I added another seal to an 2.5" solid door and it was almost as
> quiet as the walls. Two 2" doors in one thick jamb would be better. I
> floated the 800 lb structure on four rubber closet (toilet) washers.
> Every joint and seam must be caulked. Ventilation is a bit of a pain,
> but that can be done cheaply too. Rob D.

Did you measure it's sound reduction abilities or was this a estimate?

When I did hearing tests in the army, the one person soundproof chambers
we had could do twice that drop at least. I never got any look at their
internal wall construction but it was much thinner than your design. The
doors were built kind of like walk in freezer doors. We were testing
hearing down to -10dBA levels in multiple frequencies. At the time my
hearing went down to those low levels easily, those chambers were
absolutely silent when inside, even with lots of loud noise outside.

As I've noted there is plenty of published stuff on building these
things. The construction is not all that exotic and one does not have to
reinvent how to do it.