[gear] 4GB Compactflash for $15

Subject: [gear] 4GB Compactflash for $15
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Jan 9, 2007 2:38 pm ((PST))
Here's a great price for a Compactflash card.
It's the first time I've seen a large capacity
flash memory card cost less than the equivalent
storage space on Hi-MD discs.

Adorama sells the Kingston 4GB 45X Compactflash
card for $65.  Kingston has a $50 rebate offer for
purchases of this produce made in January.

This 45X card easily is fast enough to keep up
with the data stream from a 24/96 recorder.  In
fact, a "slow" flash card like this one is often
better suited to receive a continuous stream of
data than the faster models.

Here's the link
http://www.adorama.com/KGCF4GE.html

Result after rebate: a 4GB card for $15.  The
offer is available only when sending the rebate
to addresses in USA.

That's less than $4 a gigabyte.  A Sony HMD1G 1GB
Hi-MD disc usually costs $7, and can be found online
for $4.50 to $5.

Maybe the day when we will use flash memory for
archival storage is not so far away.  Flash memory is
usually rated to retain data for 10 years without the
need for any electric power. 10 years is far short of
the projected life of a magneto-optical disc like
the Hi-MD minidisc. But 10 years is twice as long as a
hard disc can retain data.  Hard disc is still the value
leader, with a GB of storage costing less than $0.35.

Adorama is a well-respected photography store in
New York City.  I wouldn't hesitate to order from
this vendor.

--oryoki