Re: USB battery (was: My personal choice)

Subject: Re: USB battery (was: My personal choice)
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Jan 8, 2007 10:02 pm ((PST))
Klas S. wrote:

> MicroTrack 24/96 [requires] a special battery powered
> external charger with a USB output to recharge. Is such
> a charger available?? Can you record while charging?

Yes, and yes.

Here's the least expensive USB battery box that I've seen online:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D2970

It has a voltage regulator to provide a steady 5V DC to the
MicroTrack.  At $5 plus shipping it's a good deal, but you'll still
need a cable to connect to the Microtrack.  The USB computer cable
provided with the Microtrack will work, but it's pretty long.  A one
foot mini-USB cable might cost another $10.

This battery box accepts standard AA cells, lithium disposable AA
cells, and rechargeables.

Energizer makes a USB battery box called Energi To Go.  It costs about
$20 and is widely available in USA.  The box includes a short cable.
Be sure to purchase the model that has the mini-usb cable end, not the
cylindrical end designed for cell phones. Drawback to Energi to Go is
that it holds just two AA cells, so the total battery power is less
than the four-cell boxes.

There are several USB battery boxes that utilize a rechargeable
lithium ion battery.  For example, the Lenmar PPU1700B costs about $30
(without cable) and provides 2200 mAh at 5V.  According to the
Soundprofessionals.com web site, that's enough to add about 7 hours of
 recording time to the Microtrack.

This is where Sony's power management magic pays dividends.  The same
Lenmar battery adds _28 hours_ of record time to the MZ-RH1 Hi-MD
recorder!

--oryoki