Re: New EM23

Subject: Re: New EM23
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Jan 3, 2007 11:27 pm ((PST))
At 10:37 PM +0100 1/3/07, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>  >

>>Great news/recording! Are you saying the new
>>EM-23's sensitivity/output comes out to be around
>>22mV/Pa?  I assume you're hitching up a new chip
>>to the Primo caps. I agree with Dan; we need a
>>new name to reduce confusion in this searchable
>>world. KSEM-23's? Rob D.
>
>Yes, connected to the NZ700 it gives 22 mV/Pa.
>
>New chip? No, on the contrary! Instead I'm going 20 years back to basics!
>I just wanted to see what happened if you optimized modern components
>with the old fashioned style and there it was! (You can get the same
>high output with the "red" version of 2SK1227, but it is audibly noisier.)
>
>Fed into the newly developed Telinga PIPamp, which you will get by
>post one of these days for test, (is shipped already) the KSEM23(???)
>gives 55 mV/Pa which you can amplify 10-60 db (in six steps) to get
>line output. You can squeze 2V RMS out of it, running on a single 9V
>battery. Current consumption is 11 mA with mic's.
>
>(Does anyone know??? Running a common alkaline 9V battery
>intermittently with the PIPamp, how long will it last?? Not the best
>batteries, the average ones??)
>
>This is no amp for the Sony HiMD users, as the Sony mic input is good
>enough, but for the others. I set a question mark for the 3,5 mm
>input of the MT24/96. It's not that bad. I think the new KSEM23 (???)
>runs over the MT input noise, but haven't had time to test it.

Are you asking, will the new EM23 have self noise high enough to bury
that of the 3.5 mm mic
input of the MT24/96?  I can't say because I only tested the XLR
balanced line and mic. inputs.  The gain (34dB) is so low on the
Message: 3.
Subject: 5mm input that I didn't bother to test it in my high pre gain
tests. I encountered more noise in the MT's balanced line inputs than
I expected to see in a balanced circuit.

>The
>PIPamp is mainly designed for the Edirol R-09, for example, and
>others. (Laptops??)
>
>And, Rob - how much space is there inside that phantom power device
>which you usually recommend? Is there space for a PCB about 40*40*15
>mm??

Great idea. Below are photos of the Art Phantom II's inside. This is
the portable phantom power supply unit easiest to find in Europe:

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/P1010271_ArtPII_OpenSpaceSi.gif
(with dimensions)
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/P1010272_ArtPhantomIISide.gif
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/P1010273_ArtPhantomIIInside.gif
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/P1010270_ArtPhantomRearHi.gif

Your PCB would fit by stealing some of the unused battery compartment
space for the two 9 volt batteries. However these batteries are
already a pain to replace and only last 2-4 hours so I don't use this
power option. It has a normal coax 12vdc power input jack on the
back, so I use a sled of 10 NiMH rechargeable AA's (2500ma each). You
could package everything with the sled and have PLENTY of room for
the PCB. You might consider including a 3.5mm output jack switch-able
for line and mic level and make the unit very flexible for all kinds
of recorders/inputs. Rob D.