Re: Jetty Waves

Subject: Re: Jetty Waves
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:04 am ((PST))
Hi pga7602,

I have recorded nice stuff with both wl-183s and NT1-As.  The wl-183s
with an ultra-portable recorder like a HiMD can make a very
affordable, convenient, versatile, portable, and reliable system. The
self noise is a bit high for quiet subtleties but are great for
recording streams and frogs and other less subtle soundscapes.

This is an example of the 183s with a dawn chorus.(3.6MB)
http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh-060529_fry-dawn02.mp3

The mics were about 8 feet above the ground mounted to opposing sides
of 12" diameter tree.  The small stream is about 30 feet away.

On the other hand, I prefer the the NT1-As for quieter soundscapes.
They have much better self-noise figures than the wl-183s.  Even with
the noisy preamps of a PMD-670 I had been using them with, I found the
NT1-As amazing for their ability to reach into the distant subtleties
of a soundscape.  The main drawbacks are they are heavy, require a
phantom power source, and are very sensitive to handling and wind
vibrations.

Also the wl-183 is omni and the NT1-A is cardiod which might make a
difference toward your decision.

That's all I have time for to write at this moment, but I will be glad
elaborate more later.

John Hartog

--- In  "pga7602" <> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I noticed that you have experience with both the wl-183s and NT1-As.
> I am in the process of choosing between these two mics and was
> wondering which one you liked better for quiet ambient sound
> recordings?  Thunder? Streams? frogs?
>
> Can you give me a comparison the two mics other than the obvious size. =

> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> --- In  "John Hartog"
> <hartogj_1999@> wrote:
> >
> > I thought some might enjoy this little slice of the Oregon Coast from
> > last weekend (mp3, 2.8MB).
> >
> > http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh_061204-jettywaves.mp3
> >
> > This was recorded with wl-183s mounted (tree ear style) to a two foot
> > diameter beacon out near the end of the Bay View Jetty on the ocean
> > side of the north side of the inlet to Tillamook Bay.  The recorder
> > was a MZ-NH700 HiMD in PCM mode and low mic sensitivity mode with the
> > gain setting at 18.  No EQ or volume edits.
> >
> > The last time I recorded at that location was a couple years ago. The
> > north wind that day was too strong to record the ocean side, so I
> > hunkered down behind the boulders to record the calmer bay side. This
> > was with a PMD-670 and NT1-As (mp3,1.5MB)
> >
> > http://www.rockscallop.org/JH-050221-JettyWaves.mp3
> >
> > John Hartog
> > Portland Oregon

"Microphones are not ears,