Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722 (was any further comment

Subject: Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722 (was any further comment
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:48 pm ((PST))
At 3:54 PM +0100 12/17/06, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>Where did the tic-tac tests go?
>
>I think a silent room, same ambience and the ticking clock is the
>most accurate way to show self noise.

Hi Klas--
No change. The H4 test is the usual clock test-- its just that the
quietest traffic moment happened when my building was being rocked by
some very low Hz wind. It had no impact on the H4 results at all.

I assume you're not not set up to access  QuickTime Movies yet. I
don't have the means to encode the QT movie to a Windows movie format
so you could more easily play it. Maybe someone else has the ability
and can upload a windows media version to our free space. (I suggest
encoding from the 12 mb version with uncompressed sound; 6-12fps is
fine)

Short of this: folks on PC from 98ME to present who want to view/hear
this and the other tests without any affect on their beloved Internet
Explorer settings:

1) Go to this directory:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/mediafiles/?M=3DD

2)  Find this desired movie file in the list, in this case "
H4_744_NH700_Compare_Sm.mov" (the uploaded date is 14-Dec-2006 ).

3) Right click on this .mov file and select "save to disc."  The
download will commence. Take a walk or a nap if you have dial-up.

4) Download the free PC version of VideoLan Video player here:
http://tinyurl.com/yyn9zg

5) Install the software following the windows installer directions.

6) Launch VLC, and open the desired QT movie "
H4_744_NH700_Compare_Sm.mov" using File-> Open File. It should play
the sound and the picture.

An even simpler solution is to download the free FireFox 2.0 web
browser application and the movies will play back, as-is, right in
FireFox  http://www.mozilla.org/download.html  We embrace new, better
recorders that come along-- same with web browsers-- try FireFox!

As far as I have been able to tell, the QuickTime movie formats I use
(Mpg4 H.263/Sorenson 3 with IMA:4/AIFF sound) are very compatible
with all systems and browsers except Internet Explorer _without_ a
QuickTime v4.0 or later plug in installed. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts