Re: Recording comparison methods

Subject: Re: Recording comparison methods
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:53 pm ((PST))
At 12:40 PM -0700 12/15/06, Bruce Wilson wrote:
>After seeing the bird game (in Java), I was thinking that maybe a small
>application for these comparisons would make it easy to A/B test specific
>combinations of equipment. Rob's tests are great, but occasionally I'd lik=
>to A/B a non-sequential combination and it's a bit of a pain to find the
>correct locations on the time slider.
>
>Any chance we could put together a framework that lets us click the images
>showing the equipment combinations to hear how it sounds? That'd be pretty
>cool.

The only way I'm aware of (without creating more versions/using the
additional host space) is to  download the QT movie and use QTPro's
"hinted" movies feature to make virtual edits which can be frame
accurate. One downside is the straight cuts can create a "click" at
the edit that can be a tad disruptive. To avoid this in my movies, I
make very short duration (~2ms) cross fades at the edits.

A beauty of the QTPro hinted movies method, (especially if the
perceptual tests were done in a uniform test setting)  is one could
add tests indefinitely to a master movie and make any A/B
comparisons/sequences one wanted over time as the data base grew. Its
also possible to upload the hinted movies so other people can play
the edits on line. I might be able to start doing gear tests with
much more uniform background stimulus after I get set-up in my new
rural studio in a couple of years.  I can't access the web at the
moment to grab the link to my tutorial on how to make hinted movies.
Email me and I'll send it to you. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts