Re: Converters

Subject: Re: Converters
From: "Matthieu Crocq" matthieucrocq
Date: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 am ((PST))
>Posted by: "Bruce Wilson"
>Thu Dec=A014,=A02006 8:46=A0am (PST)
>
>Scott,
>
>Have you looked at the crop of small-budget studio USB AD convertors? Many
>are pretty good, have a variety of inputs, and are easy to hook up to a
>computer. And less than $150. Good enough for a lot of analog sources,
>unless you have a studio tape. Going to Musicians Friend, zZounds.com, etc=
.
>will reveal many of them. You won't find any the same quality as those you
>list, but are you sure you need that high quality?

Hello! There are very nice USB "prosumer" audio interfaces indeed.
I'm the happy owner of a $200 Mackie Spike, with digital (SPDIF)
and analog (XLR with phantom power or 6.35 jacks) stereo in
http://www.mackie.com/products/spike/index.html including
the excellent Mackie Tracktion audio multitrack editing software
http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/index.html

Plus, I've already tried the pretty good $150 Tapco Link.USB (which
is also sold with Mackie Tracktion)
http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/linkusb/index.html

and the tiny $80 M-Audio Transit (lower price, but minijacks)
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

More expensive but probably excellent, you can check the $550
Sound Devices USBPre
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpremaster.htm

I don't think you'll lose anything with any of these (though
I wouldn't fully recommend the M-Audio Transit if you want to
digitize really quiet recordings... just a feeling...)

Best regards,
Matthieu