Re: Sound files - Robert Bateman Gettoknow Program

Subject: Re: Sound files - Robert Bateman Gettoknow Program
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Dec 9, 2006 8:05 am ((PST))
Yes, Dr. Rauf. The same way we recorded the popping cells in the
xylem and phloem of cottonwood tree (Populus augustifolia) trunks
when osmotic pressure of air dried them out (during a drought) and
caused the cell walls to crack open, die and form rings. We used a B
& K 8103 hydrophone inserted into a small hole - about the diameter
of a pencil eraser - that we had drilled into the tree. The frequency
range of this transducer is from about 10 Hz to 180kHz and it is very
sensitive so you are likely to get the signatures you are looking for
by using either this device or something similar.

Bernie Krause, PhD