Re: The nature recording of meteor storms

Subject: Re: The nature recording of meteor storms
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Mon Dec 4, 2006 10:13 am ((PST))
Just to make it clear for those who don't know radio scattering methods,
these are recordings not of the sound the meteors make when entering the
atmosphere (they don't seem to make much sound at all, radio or aural), but
the sounds of over-the-horizon FM radio stations that reflect off the
ionized trail in the wake of a meteors passage and become audible for a ver=
short time, the duration of the ionized trail.

They aren't strictly nature recordings, but they are very interesting. I
tried this with the most recent Leonids but didn't hear anything in Utah. I
think I should have used a more directional antenna.

Bruce Wilson
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson