Hello from New Member

Subject: Hello from New Member
From: "blue_craneberry" blue_craneberry
Date: Mon Dec 4, 2006 3:03 am ((PST))
Hello to all!  I have been lurking in the shadows for a month or so,
trying to soak up some knowledge (thank you to all) as I am a complete
newby when it comes to sound recording!

I am from South Africa and am currently busy with a M.Sc project on
Blue cranes.  What I hope to eventually achieve, is to individually ID
our endemic national bird by means of its guard call.  I got the idea
from the work done by Dr Bernhard Wessling on the Eurasian Crane -
anyone here know about it?  However, I started at the crane-side so
now I have to seriously catch up at the sound-side of it all!

At the moment I am using a Sony Hi-MD with a parabolic microphone.
Since the cranes have such high frequency calls, my current settings
seem to "cut off" the top ends of their calls.  At the moment I am
using the Automatic Recording Level setting which is set for coping
with sudden loud sounds.  I should probably revert to using the manual
recording level setting but the trick, which is what worries me, is to
set it appropriately for the type of recording that I am making.  I
would think that there will be a sweet spot where the recording is
clear enough but not over amplified which causes the "cut off"
problem?  Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Of course, if anyone has recordings of Blue cranes, I would love to
hear from you too!  Not much acoustic research has been done on South
African cranes so I am desperately looking for someone with more
knowledge than mine.

Thanks in advance,
Ursula

"Microphones are not ears,