Re: comparison of high end preamps

Subject: Re: comparison of high end preamps
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Nov 2, 2006 9:11 pm (PST)
>It's pretty rare to have the opportunity to listen to a comparison of
>expensive, highly regarded preamps, recorded under similar conditions.
>On the Tapers Section forum, an individual posting under the name
>"freelunch" has made recordings available that do just this.=A0
>
>The preamps tested include
>
>Aerco MP2=A0
>http://www.aerco.net/mp2.html
>
>DAV Electronics Broadhurst Gardens #1
>http://www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm
>
>Grace Designs Lunatec V3
>http://www.gracedesign.com/products/V3/lunatecV3.htm
>
>Here's the message freelunch posted to describe the test:
>
>"I did a quick test last night with a friend..  He noodled on his
>Gretsch hollow body electric 6-string, unplugged.  He hasn't played
>guitar much in the past few years and... nuff said.. Each 16/44 sample
>is a minute or two.
>
>Mics were MG200 ORTF about 4-5 feet away.  Pre-amp gain 50 to 55 dB.
>About 6 dB added in post.  Levels were tweaked to balance each sample
>at -17dB RMS avg.  The fireplace behind the mics can be heard popping.
>
>mics > preamp > 722 @ 24/96 > Wavelab UV22HR
>
>Cables were 1804a.  Preamps involved:  AERCO, DAV/BG1, V3."
>
>The three files capturing the results are posted here
>
>http://sportmetrics.com/abc-comp/a.flac   <-- this is the DAV BG1
>http://sportmetrics.com/abc-comp/b.flac   <-- this is the Aerco
>http://sportmetrics.com/abc-comp/c.flac   <-- this is the V3
>
>Unfortunately, there is no file showing what the 722 recorder's preamp
>sounds like by iteslf.
>
>Yes, it's possible to find fault with this comparison.  It's
>definitely better to use more controlled conditions.  But this is one
>of the first opportunities I've seen where you can actually listen to
>each preamp under similar conditions.
>
>Of the three models, the Aerco is a "pocketable preamp," able to run
>on battery power and of small size.  So it's the best choice for use
>in the field. The other two are designed to run using mains power.  A
>few enterprising people have rigged up battery sleds powerful to run
>them where no mains power is available.=A0
>
>--oryoki

Thats fun.  "B," the Aerco sounds significantly
rounder/fuller at the bottom to me. Perhaps, in
part, from Reichenbach input transformers the
Jerry Chamkis uses?  Maybe others can confirm
this. "A" and "C" are quite similar to my ears.
Thanks for sharing this Oryoki. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts