Re: canada.com Story. iffy habitat-woods eddies. locals reveal?

Subject: Re: canada.com Story. iffy habitat-woods eddies. locals reveal?
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Richard Lyttle"

> i've noticed that with other species, walt. that animals can tuck themsel=
ves into what i call, "woods or wilderness eddies" ( similar to river eddie=
s ) that narrow or balloon up against civilization but really noone goes th=
ere or hunts there ( too close ) but its a big enough set of woods for thin=
gs to hide out. there corridors off the main woods passageways that dont ge=
t explored by humans or kids.

I don't know about kids, I certainly explored and still explore such
areas. Approach any area with a open mind.

> carpenter frog-had no idea. thank you. yikes.

Probably not the only sound to be aware of.

> and hope to see you down there this winter, sir! and maybe you too, rich =
peet. thanks walt for the lack of sign, direction in the swamp. I've been i=
n some and wonder if the gps will help much, i just got one but dont know m=
uch. and i hope you get over your trip stoppage issues quickly. i plan to h=
it florida spots this november, december and do alabama, louisiana, missisi=
ppi jan -feb 07, keep march, april open, maybe.

It's just a annoying speedbump in the path of my life. If you are still
down there in April, keep a ear out for Pine Barrens Treefrogs. I really
would like to know spots on the east side of the river (if any) for
them. I cannot make any commitments, but if you forward contact info and
by some miracle I am in a position to be in the area I'll try and look
you up.

> and i really wonder too, if the ibw will be found through knowledgeable l=
ocals-if we find the right ones and they open up. i'm going to try that ang=
le for sure as well as speaking with the seminole, indian tribes.

If you are genuinely sensitive to their concerns and their place in
things, and patient you can get help. I just point out that there is a
big barrier developing and it's working against you. I'm a southerner by
birth, but really have to work at it too.

> when i canoe thru rivers with my headworn DSM mics, should i monitor the =
recording with shure e500 earbuds so i can hear the environs at mach amplif=
ication? hear farther? worth it? trouble with this idea?

> the shures are expensive but somehow i think it would be worth it if i co=
uld hear the bird a long ways away and heads toward it. would it be worth i=
t, would it help or should i just listen with my ears and steer towards sou=
nds i hear? since with the sonic studios pre-amp and the edirol r-9 should =
be very clear up to 1/2 mile away or farther, would it help to monitor and =
will my ears wear out listening at that volume for hours? i lean towards ge=
tting the earbuds.

The value of listening with mics full time will depend on the quality of
the sound you can get off them. High quality setups can definitely
provide more amplification than just straight listening. With my MKH I
can more easily pick out distant sound than by ear, same with the
Telinga. I'm more likely to hunt distant sound with the Telinga. Now
note all my setups are stereo, so preserve the soundfield much better
than mono. Listening through a mono setup will probably not help much as
it just jumbles all sounds as if they came from the same point. Most
ideally you will be using a high quality set of closed headphones. And
do both amplified listening and direct listening.

There is a certain amount of safety issue, if listening with headphones
you are not hearing your local environment. Some of the local sounds may
warn you of danger. Not just things like say rattlesnakes, but the
sounds of a sweeper just around the bend you are about to hit, for
example. You may find it safer to stop and listen both with and without
the amplification of your mics.