Re: Request for info: primate vocalization recording equipment

Subject: Re: Request for info: primate vocalization recording equipment
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:28 pm (PDT)
"keithruck"  wrote:
> can anyone tell me the maximum size CF card
> that will work in the 24/96, and/or the minimum
> acceptable CF card speed to avoid recording problems?

The M-Audio Microtrack 2496 works OK with 8GB Compactflash cards.  I
have not read a report from anyone using the new 16GB cards, but I'm
pretty sure they will work OK as well.

You should note that the maximum file size for the Microtrack is 2GB.
 The machine can be configured to automatically save the file and
start a new one if 2GB is reached.  The file split is not seamless,
however.  You'll lose 5 or 6 seconds of recording time as the first
file is saved and the second file started.

2GB is about an hour of two channel audio captured at 24/96.  If you
routinely record for this length of time, you might prefer the Edirol
R-09 recorder.  The R-09 can continuously record files as large as
Message: 4GB.
Subject: (The R-09 uses Secure Digital flash cards, and so far 4GB is the
largest card available.)

As far as card speed is concerned, if you record two channels at 24/96
you create a data stream of 576,000 bytes per second. Flash memory
cards are rated in multiples of 150,000 bytes per second. 576,000 is
about 3.9 * 150,000, or 3.9X  The typical Compactflash card is rated
for sustained write speed around 40X, so even the slowest Compactflash
card will be fast enought to work with the Microtrack.

The Kingston Elite Pro is one Compactflash card that is popular among
Microtrack owners due to its low price and large capacities. The Elite
Pro is rated at 45X.

--oryoki

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,