Old Sierra Club article is indeed "old."

Subject: Old Sierra Club article is indeed "old."
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:06 am (PDT)
Other things, too, Danny. For one thing it's ok for Rothenberg's good
friend and (sometimes) creative associate, Doug Quin, to combine
music and natural sound because Quin (to Rothenberg) is an "artiste"
- well-schooled in the classical white traditions of Europe and
America (Oberlin) and extremely articulate. At the same time, others
in the "new age"  genre, not nearly as schooled, are generally
sniffed at and dismissed.

While not true for those groups living more closely connected to the
wild natural, from my perspective, if a natural sound recording is
really evocative, not too many who've grown up in the Western
Euro/American sound art milieu (with the exception, perhaps, of R.
Murray Schafer, a Canadian composer) could add anything from their
own limited imaginations that would enhance that acoustic experience.
I've learned the hard way that one can't improve too much on the
beauty that the natural world provides except as an inspiration - and
then only if one is particularly aware and connected.

The art of recording natural soundscapes and producing evocative
illusions (the only result possible in my view) is art enough. So are
the creative choices within that realm.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary