Re: Rolls PB224 noise floor (estimate)

Subject: Re: Rolls PB224 noise floor (estimate)
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:52 pm (PDT)
Looks to me like your -134 dBV is the noise contributed by the power supply
ripple only. Given your assumption, that it is running at 50 KHz, then the
noise contribution is zero if we use the standard 20 - 20,000 Hz passband
for calculating audio noise.

-134 dBV is about the 150 ohm resistor shot noise figure. The preamp noise
must be higher than that as there must be many sources of resistance beside=
the overall impedance, each noise source geometrically adding to the rest.

For practical preamps (those which use impedances above 10 ohms and can
actually be built) the lower 20 - 20,000 Hz noise limit seems to be about
-125 dBu (-127 dBV). These are quite small in comparison to the noise from
all known mics at atmospheric pressure. The preamp noise could be lessened
by going to a lower system impedance, but that introduces (dramatically)
line loss and the effect of static charges and radio-induced voltages.

Bruce Wilson
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson