Re: Edirol 09 failure within one hour of use

Subject: Re: Edirol 09 failure within one hour of use
From: "nototriche" nototriche
Date: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:17 pm (PDT)
Hi, I've been monitoring your site for a few months, but you guys
are so much more advanced than I am, I mainly read for learning.
But I have a problem, possibly someone can help me.

I bought the Edirol 09 a few weeks ago in the US, and just tried it
out for the first time today.  I have (had) it hooked to an audio
tech shotgun mic AT815A, hooked by one of those cables with 3 pins,
and then on the other end it has a big plug so I reduced it to the
size that the Edirol uses for the mic jack.

I tried it out in the house, all OK.  I walked down to the valley
near my house here in Chile and it worked fine for about an hour,
and now will not record with the mic anymore. I didn't have any
particular weight hanging on it, the mic does have a long cable but
I had it wound up in my bag so there would be no undue weight on the
edirol.  (I used the same mic and cable and reducer for years with
cassette recorders).

The unit still does record with the internal mic, that still works.

I tried the audio tech on my old equipment, (cassette PMD 222) and
the mic still works fine.  Since the PMD uses a big plug, I thought
maybe the problem was in the reducer plug, but I hooked up the mic,
with reducer plug to another old cassette recorder, all fine.

So, apparently the problem is in the Edirol in the microphone jack.

What a bummer, have any of you guys heard about this problem?

For me, a $400 paper weight now, (actually not even heavy enough for
that)  since I need to use it with a mic for bird sounds.

It's not like I can just take it down to the shop, by the time I
mail it back and pay 33% customs to get it back, I don't know if
it's worth it.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I don't think the machine is built well enough for that
price tag anyway.

Thanks,

Barb Knapton
Putre. Chile