Re: Ivory-billed Woodpecker sightings

Subject: Re: Ivory-billed Woodpecker sightings
From: "Marc Myers" buffymarmoset
Date: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:55 am (PDT)
Amen to that Scott. Many communities interested in the natural world
face similar dilemmas. In primates Miss Waldron's Red Colobus is
similarly debated. After years of searching one recent skin was brought
to the attention of researchers; shot by helpful locals after they heard
the scientists were interested. This is the grim end to multiple sorties
by multiple biologists funded by multiple sources. Could well be the
last one was shot.

And woodpeckers and monkeys are large charismatic animals with well
heeled, well funded devotees who have access to the media. Those of us
recording nature are capturing soundscapes we are fast loosing. That
frog may no longer exist when we next switch on the recorder.

Marc