Re: Introduction and steam trains

Subject: Re: Introduction and steam trains
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:55 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "ortfmic"

> There are three locations close to us that offer steam trains
> (although not year-round because it's expensive to run old steam
> engines): (1) The Tennessee Valley RR (TVRR) (http://www.tvrail.com/)
> out of Chattanooga, (2) The Blue Ridge Scenic RR
> (http://www.brscenic.com/index.cfm), and (3) The Great Smoky Mtn RR
> (http://www.gsmr.com/).

I'm primarily interested in locations that I could get pretty clean
recordings. Get out and see what some of my nature recording mics can get.

Thanks for the links.

> The TVRR steam engine is running on Sat 23 Sept 2006 to the LaFayette,
> GA airport to the airshow that is also going on that day. I attended
> that event last year and captured some great stuff, both air and rail.
> If you're interested in isolating the steam engine on that day, I
> suggest you Google Map the LaFayette, GA airport and look for the
> train route towards Chattanooga to get away from the airport.

Unfortunately at this point I have no idea what I'll be doing by that
date. The medics are going to be testing me (yet again) for cancer in
early Sept. So I'm not making any commitments after that until I get
something out of them. If they finally find it things could get strange.

When I was young my grandparents house backed up against rail tracks
with the trains running fairly slowly up a slight grade in a cut. I used
to dash out through the long garden path to the cut for every train that
came by, in those days they were all steam trains, nearly all hauling
freight. You definitely don't get the same effect out of modern locos. I
miss that experience.

I'll look at the track layout just in case. I'm somewhat familiar with
the area from bike touring and frog survey work.