Re: tripod recommendations?

Subject: Re: tripod recommendations?
From: "Marc Myers" buffymarmoset
Date: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:35 pm (PDT)
Bogen/Manfrotto makes decent tripods, at least for still cameras, but
the prices start at about your upper limit.

If for audio only I would buy the cheapest and lightest tripod I could
find that was sturdy enough to hold the microphone and cage. One of the
generic ones from an electronics store or camera department in chain
stores will do fine. They are small and light. There are better and
there are studier but I don't see the point. Most of the refinements and
added expense are to accomplish things demanded by those capturing
visual images. Better your money is spent on better microphones, better
recorders even better cables, things that will make a difference.

On the other hand, if you are also capturing images and your tripod has
to do double duty then you do need something with a better more reliable
than you can buy at a retail outlet. Sadly you should pay more than =A3100.=
Message: 00.

A tip: When evaluating a field tripod, make sure that the spreader (a
system that holds the three legs together) is mounted high up the legs.
  a low spreader can be an impediment on uneven ground.