Re: mic suspension bands & clips (was Diy M/S suspension

Subject: Re: mic suspension bands & clips (was Diy M/S suspension
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:00 pm (PDT)
At 1:43 PM -0400 8/18/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
<snip>
>  ...have you tried the vibration suppression pads under the
>tripods. These pads are used in astronomy to isolate the tripod from
>ground vibrations which are everywhere. They certainly make a difference
>in astronomy.

Yes, a "rigid" connection to the ground can transmit local vibrations
on certain types of ground.  I've experimented with several types of
rig suspension to deal with different sources of vibration.  With my
garden tractor battery, 30 lb quadpack and hiking in, I only take my
8' tripod when I suspect there will be no suitable trees.  I most
often suspend the main weight of the four mic rig with several types
of rope and bungee cords between 2-4 trees.  I adjust rope tensions
and dampen it with guy lines until I can "thump" the tree trunks and
not produce resonance I can hear through the headphones. When it
comes to suppressing transients, the suspension around the mic seems
to be a significantly greater factor. A tree suspension usually
performs better in windy conditions than my fixed tripod.

Interesting suggestion about the tripod pads. Some claim, "Near 100%
vibration elimination."  Have you tried the pads?

>I'd think the foam hanger would create new noises, particularly against
>elastic banding

I was thinking of attaching the bands to a small, rectangular piece
of sheet plastic and then gluing a foam block with a hole cut out
onto the plastic so there's no direct contact between the bands and
the foam. I use spongy foam for quickie dampening needs quite often.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts