mic suspension bands & clips (was Diy M/S suspension

Subject: mic suspension bands & clips (was Diy M/S suspension
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:06 am (PDT)
At 12:24 PM -0400 8/17/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Rob Danielson"
>
>>  On related topic, I tried-out the small diameter silicon support
>>  bands. They were long enough for me to install with what I thought
>>  provided the best dampening tension. I used it for three full nights
>>  and the bands produced the drawbacks I had experienced before with
>>  the Rycote and Senn systems-- more low HZ resonant vibration and
>>  consequent sound from wind or other disturbances. I had another pair
>>  of heavier mics suspended with #64 rubber bands that did not react
>>  this way to the same events. I'll try to do an exact an A/B test some
>>  time, but the difference seemed quite obvious to me. Think I might
>>  try suspending two foam blocks with mounting holes next.
>>  Rob D.
>
>I think this is primarily a design problem. The commercial Rycote and
>Sennheiser rigs use clips on the mics and therefore don't suspend the
>mics directly in the bands. The bands, regardless of material, make some
>noise as they expand and contract across the mic housing. Using clips
>avoids that problem. You may also be able to avoid some of it by playing
>with band tension, though that's always going to be iffy.
>
>Study the commercial rigs, maybe even buy some clips, they are not that
>expensive, and I think you can solve the problem. My clip suspended mics
>don't have this problem. I had some worries that my SASS suspension
>design might have such problems, but so far it's ok too. In the over 3
>dozen I've made no one has reported such problems either.
>
>Walt

I was studying the Rycote and Senn rigs with clips and silicon bands
that the university owns when I first noticed the VLF resonance
transfer problem. For this recent experiement, I was hoping the  4"
diameter housing would create more length/ flexibility in the silicon
bands. I'm inclined to think there are materials that will
out-perform the silicon O-rings from Allorings.

As for the clip, my suspicion is that the solid connection to the mic
still transfers some of the band rubbing/movement.  I'll try a
work-around for that  like a foam hanger. Yes, band tension would
seem to be a big factor as I can greatly lessen VLF coloration even
with direct band contact to  heavy and lighter mics using good old
#64 rubber bands. Rob D.