Re: Great Horned Owl recordings & Great Gray Owl recordings

Subject: Re: Great Horned Owl recordings & Great Gray Owl recordings
From: "Ken & Karla Kinstler" karlaowl
Date: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:36 am (PDT)
Cameron,
Thanks for offering your recordings!  Please send the wav files and any
associated data (date, time, location, sex, etc) to:
Karla Kinstler
19268 Perkins Valley Dr
Houston, MN 55943

So far two folks have responded with sound files, but I believe there are three
others on this list with whom I've already been in contact (Stan Tekiela, Rich
Peet, Lang Elliot) who will be sending their collections of GHOW sound files
when they have time.  Cornell has a lot of sound recordings (but there's a fee
for their time to copy them), and the Borror Lab of Bioacoustics in Ohio had a
small but good selection.  I would expect there are museums in Canada that
might have good sound collections for Great Grays, but I don't have the
connections.  Have you been in contact with Jim Duncan in Winnipeg?  He might
have some contacts, although he doesn't do recording himself (yet....)

Karla Kinstler
19268 Perkins Valley Dr
Houston, MN 55943
http://owlstuff.com
Alice News: http://owlstuff.com/aliceweblog.html
Re: Great Horned Owl recordings & Great Gray Owl recordings
Posted by: "cameron rognan"    rognancameron
Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:58 pm (PST)
Karla,

I have some GHOW recordings that you may be interested in. Im working on a
masters thesis at Humboldt State University in California. I am conducting a
similar project to yours, except I am studying the vocalizations of Great
Gray Owls. While searching for these owls I often encounter Great Horned
Owls. I have recordings of about 6 of them, including males, females and
juveniles. These recordings are from Central California. If you are
interested in them let me know how to send them to you. I would probably
have to make a cd and send it to you in the mail because they are all
digital wave files and too large to send as an email attachment. Also,
please let me know if you have any success in finding GHOW recordings from
this forum, or by other means. I too would like to collect more vocal
samples from other places but haven't gotten around to it. If you find some
good sources could you please send me some contact info so I can see if they
have any great gray owl recordings as well.

Thanks a lot, Cameron Rognan