Re: Idea's for recording kit

Subject: Re: Idea's for recording kit
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:46 am (PDT)
Posted by: "macmang4125"

> The design I saw seemed to use two omni's I think the link to it is here:
> http://www.naturesound.com/telinga/telinga.html
> Although when I tried it a few moments ago it seemd to time out?
> But the design had a baffle seperating the two mics as in your link.
> Phil

Lang Elliott's design does work well (the link above).  I built one of
these for a fellow recordist that's being used in New Zealand with a
pair of MKH-20's. I got to try it out briefly before I sent it off. The
one I built was similar to Lang's except I machined a support block so
that the mics could be easily removed for other uses. I've been meaning
to build one for myself. It did use a barrier between the mics. The
design does work without a barrier, though with a somewhat different
sound. Gain is pretty much the same with or without a barrier.

Note you can also mount the 3032's in a modified SASS for widefield
stereo. There's a photo of a pair mounted in the SASS on my page on the
mod SASS:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html

The 3032's are not as good a mic as the MKH-20, but as noted it is a
cheaper alternative.