Re: Great Horned Owl recordings

Subject: Re: Great Horned Owl recordings
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 pm (PDT)
Hi Karla,

Well this isn=D5t much, but it=D5s all I got.  They started calling twenty=

seconds before the tape stopped.  Recorded in September a
couple years ago at Heart Mountain National Antelope Range in
southeastern Oregon.  If you want to use it for your project please
contact me off list to make arrangements.  Also, since you=D5re an
expert perhaps you can tell me a little about the calls.

http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh-040923-ghowl.mp3

John Hartog
Portland, Oregon
www.rockscallop.org

--- In  "Ken & Karla Kinstler"
<> wrote:

> I'm new to this list, although I know a few of you already.  I'm
conducting a vocal study on the Great Horned Owl, looking to
both document the complete vocal repertoire of the species with
behavioral context as well as look for regional and sex
differences in territorial hoots.  (It's not like I'll be done with this
study anytime soon!!)

> At any rate, I'm doing some recording myself of both captive
and wild owls...with heavy emphasis on my 9 year old
human-imprinted captive female who both lives and works with
me.  (No joke--I'm around her more than I'm around my husband
since she lives in our house and commutes to work with me at
the Houston Nature Center.)  So I've heard just about everything
she has to say in the 8 years we've been together (other than
calls that would be associated with eggs & young)...even hooting
in her sleep.  We are also on the territorial boundary of two wild
pairs (who both know of my owl in the house), so I can just lean
out of my bedroom window at 2 AM and record 4 wild owls some
nights (plus one in the house when everyone's worked up.)  I've
been recording the owls since the fall of 2004.

> Since there's no way on earth I'm going to be able to travel all
over the range of the GHO to acquire recordings, I'm looking to
get recordings from others who have recorded them.  I've got
Borror's and Texas' sound files, will soon get Florida's, and will
get Cornell's in due time (plus I've asked a few of you to provide
files when you have time.)  If any of you have Great Horned Owl
sound files that you would be willing to share for research
purposes (you will be acknowledged in my publications),
ESPECIALLY if you have recordings from Central and South
America, please let me know.  I'm not affiliated with any university
or state agency...this is all out of my own pocket (other than a
grant I got to purchase night vision to observe behavioral
contexts).  I can manage small payments here and there for
sound files if need be, but somehow working at a city-funded
nature center in a town of 1,000 people I'm not rolling in the
dough!!

> I'll leave it at that for now.  I could go on about Great Horned
Owl vocalizations for all eternity....

> Karla
> Karla Kinstler
> 19268 Perkins Valley Dr