Re: VP88 noise issues...my experience

Subject: Re: VP88 noise issues...my experience
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Mon Aug 7, 2006 9:36 am (PDT)
--- In  "Danny Meltzer"
<> wrote:

> Not having had a ton of first hand experience with other mics
rigs...I
> will say that my gut feeling is that the VP88 is a les than
superior
> mic even though its single housing and rugged nature allowed me to
get
> many things I just would have missed otherwise.

thanks for sharing this,
yes, I am also looking for a rugged stereo mic in a single housing,
one that I can try not to worry so much about as I stuff it into
a fannypack or knapsack for a hike, something to use where I might
not take a Sennheiser MKH Mid-Side setup.

> If I tried to record a redwood forest with it you'd hear the self
> noise.  But, there's nothing that I tried to record during my time
in
> Africa that I haven't used because of noise.  Listen to the Impala
> track, that has a pretty quiet background and I don't think noise
is
> an issue.
>
> Yes I sometimes ran the MP2 at full gain with no big noise issue
from
> the MP2 itself.

I was imagining that running the VP88 into the MP-2 at full gain
might not be desirable

> If you want out of the can perfect recordings [is that possible?]
then
> the VP88 "might" be somewhat limiting.  But then again it's only
$600
> and I've had mine since I was 11 years old so that's why I used
it.  I
> am used to it and I sorta like it though.  You just have to know
what
> it can and can't do.
>
> Danny

thanks again,