Re: (gear) Zeppelin shape

Subject: Re: (gear) Zeppelin shape
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 7:47 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "1GDW"

> Walt and others,
> Thank you for your comments about Zeppelin construction.
> I am thinking that I want a shell that is more durable than painted
> cotton, I would have this in storage in the van for long periods of
> time.

I think you have a limited idea of paint, we are not talking ordinary
housepaint or latex paint here, or plain enamels. In this case whatever
rycote used it's got no cracking and no weathering after probably 30
years use. The only way I know it's cotton mesh is that the end caps
have some spots that the coating has worn enough to show the mesh. That
coated mesh is far stronger than the stuff rycote uses now, which often
cracks and is straight molded plastic, I think PVC. It's also stiffer.
I'd think the coating on it is PVC but can't figure out how they would
have done that. My 2nd guess is epoxy or polyurethane.

Think of using something like a high quality paint or coating. Epoxy,
Polyurethane, something like that. Marine paints might be a place to
look. And multiple coats. You could probably shape the material with
water, dry it, then unmold it and dip it in things like the stuff used
for coating tool handles. There's really tough paint available. Or how
about UV stabilized Epoxy laminating resin? Expand your concept of paint.

Think of the cotton mesh as the mold for forming whatever coating you
use. Like with fiberglass laminates it also provides some strength to
prevent cracking of the coating. That it's cotton is really unimportant
as it's completely imbedded and protected.

  If you recall I am only fitting one ME-66 in the blimp and I
> wonder if the construction material on the sides and rear could be
> different from the nose.  I am thinking about using the relatively
> stiff mesh wire used in office wastebaskets for the sides and rear.
> The nose of the blimp would be a larger mesh to give me a better
> ratio of open space in the pickup cone of the mic.  Would that cause
> echoes within the enclosure?  If not, it may increase the
> attenuation of sound from the side and rear because of the
> percentage of frame material.
> Gerald White  Muscatine,IA

Metals are more risk primarily as they can make noise under stress or
with the movement of materials against them. Like wind blowing against
them. Metals, particularly fine wire screening fatigues with time too,
producing sharp wire points to stick you (or the mic). And is pretty
easy to bend out of shape.

  I'd not get too carried away with mesh that's not real open. The ME-66
picks up from the rear too. And even it's front part of it's polar
pattern is more than 180 degrees wide. It's only non-pickup direction is
at the null points 120 degrees from straight ahead. You don't want your
windscreen producing new interference patterns at conflict with those of
the interference tube of the mic. Keep it as open as you can while still
wind protecting.

BTW, for protecting a single shotgun you might consider a Rycote Softie.
They don't provide quite as much wind protection as a full up layered
Rycote, but it's pretty good. The Softies turn up regularly on ebay and
are a lot cheaper than the full up setup. The softie consists of a inner
very open foam covered with artificial fur. It has a seal for the mic in
the back so must be the right length and right seal diameter for your
mic. A full up softie kit also includes a rubber suspension that mounts
on the mic behind the softie and itself mounts on your handle or boom
mount. Often only the windscreen part or the suspension part turn up on
ebay. So you can buy what you need.