Re: Dynamic EQ

Subject: Re: Dynamic EQ
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Aug 1, 2006 8:21 am (PDT)
Hi John--
Dynamic EQ can be very appropriate. I use it to tame harshness or
exaggerated tones in all sorts events from very short percussions
like single calls to longer passages.

The "right EQ" is sometimes a matter of how much time you have and
the demands of the final application. I rarely, use low or hi pass EQ
in a single track mix. Often, the offensive/unnatural quality in a
sound stems from very narrow "bands" of the spectrum that one has to
locate by ear (using parametric EQ usually) and address individually.
For example, with rain, lessening the "zizz" around 3.5K to 4K  can
be surprisingly effective. The overall tonal balance is the key to
what seems natural. Broad treatment can create more problems than it
solves in this respect. Rob D.