Re: forest audio tour recording project

Subject: Re: forest audio tour recording project
From: "Volker Widmann" volwid
Date: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 am (PDT)
Hi Graham,

these are the sort of things a nature recordist has to deal with.

> I took my new NT4, my AT lavaliers and my 3 minidisc recorders out
> camping in a forested area of wilderness last night (a block of land my
> wife and I just became owners of)

My I ask where your property is situated?

> While recording the dawn chorus I had a tractor start up and go for an
> hour in the distance and overnight I discovered that despite being a
> long way from the ocean the mics were picking up the big swell ...  A
> beautiful noise for going to sleep but not ideal for my current
> recording project.

A property near the ocean. That sound just great to me!

> I am still extracting my 8 hours or so of recording from the
> minsidiscs.  I will post links to any particular highlights/ samples.

That would be great!!

> 2. Need to make my trips on a Saturday night so their is a better chance=

> the dawn chorus won't be disturbed by distant tractors.

Generally weekends are far better in relatively populated areas.

> 3. Need to find a location further from the sea where I can camp in
> privacy.

Is your property that big?

Cheers

Volker

--

Echte DSL-Flatrate dauerhaft f=FCr 0,- Euro*. Nur noch kurze Zeit!