Re: alternative to rubber bands (was Shock-Mounting...)

Subject: Re: alternative to rubber bands (was Shock-Mounting...)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:16 am (PDT)
At 2:26 PM -0400 7/23/06, Walter Knapp wrote:

>The silicon o-rings that Rycote uses are very small diameter material
>(and probably metric sized), the larger the diameter the stiffer they
>get. I can stretch the 1" X 3/32" silicon o-rings I use in the sass
>about 50% without breakage, but that's far more than is needed in a
>suspension. You need stretch enough just to insure that during vibration
>the tension does not go to zero.

Possibly. When the #64 rubber bands are stretched about 300%  they
become fairly taut, but they still provide some bounce and support
strength. I double-up two for the heavier NT2-A and they'll still
retain the bounce. Maybe we'll come across the skinnier silicon bands
that Rycote is using.  I bet the Allorings units I ordered will be
too fat. Rob D.