Re: Figure 8 mics

Subject: Re: Figure 8 mics
From: "Mike Feldman" gidney_n_cloyd
Date: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 am (PDT)
Rob Danielson wrote:

> At 8:10 AM -0700 7/23/06, Lou Judson wrote:
>> ... Davud Josephson ... lamented also that
>> deveoping a good, small, quiet fig 8 is just very diificult ...
>> ... Wish I understaood why better!

> This is a question the micbuilders list is surely capable of
> addressing. ...

Rob mentions a bunch of dual-diaphragm designs; I would think
that the acoustic simplicity of a single ribbon would generate
better HF results than a dual diaphragm.  I don't own any
multi-pattern mics, but I do own a Beyerdynamic M130 and I love
it's null plane and it's sound.  For sources like acoustic guitar
it's very hard to position, though.

The problem with ribbons is that a 1-turn transformer is extremely
low impedance and you've got to crowd the acoustic space with all
that magnet.  Better detection of a single open diaphragm is the
grail.  David Josephson did contribute to a discussion years back
of optical sensing like the Phone-Or mic.  And Sennheiser picked
up the rights to that design but I've heard of no commercial product,
so cost reduction or performance must be a severe roadblock.

I've got these un-acted upon plans to make differential capacitance
ribbon for a low frequency (infrasound) detector which I've discussed
here.  Let me know if anyone wants to revive the topic or even the
project.

-- Mike