Re: Permethrin - was DEET etc.

Subject: Re: Permethrin - was DEET etc.
From: "Chuck B" cgbragg
Date: Tue Jul 4, 2006 4:21 pm (PDT)
John Hartog wrote:

>This pdf fact sheet by Oregon State University, points out permethrin
>is highly toxic to fish.
>http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/permethrin.pdf
>
>Knowing this, it would be selfishly irresponsible to wear permethrin
>treated clothing into an aquatic environment.

    This is a conclusion that lacks data. There is nothing about dosage
in the factsheet. So, the question is,  *how much* permethrin is highly
toxic to fish? Related to that, how much permethrin will leach out of
clothing when wet (rain, dew, immersion)? I'd also want to know about
how methodology compares to the real word. For instance, see
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_AquireAll.jsp?Rec_Id=3DPC37662 . All
tests were made in 'static' conditions, like a tank. Essentially, they
put raw permethrin in a fishtank and let it stand for 24 or 48 hours.
That maximizes the effect of the poison.
    Perhaps I'm just over-reacting to 'selfishly irresponsible'. We
really don't know that.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager