Re: sat motor drive

Subject: Re: sat motor drive
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:38 am (PDT)
Status on this project is that I bought 3 of these units.
I had to be honest with the owner once research showed they were
current production $8,000 units with one of them reporting that it was
never used. I traded time for three of these units.

I have figured out how to control these units by standard serial port
commands.  They will handle up to a 10 lb payload. Accurate to .1
degrees with speed (built in logic for excelleration and brakes) up to
65 degrees per second. Many commands give high flexibility.  Step
motor control for tilt and pan with servo controls for zoom and focus
if I decide I want more control.  Fully weather proof.

I am know converting the mounts to handle a 32" audio parabolic dish.
 This will be three channel (stereo with a noise cancellation
channel).  This will be mounted on top of my old minivan with another
4 channels for a surround mic and an audio narration channel inside
the van. A simple small resolution video (aiming) camera will complete
the setup.

Now for my question. I have been researching "Basic" and "Java" so
far.  What I need is a transparent window that reads the coordinates
of my mouse upon a click, does some simple math, and sends a command
string to the Gimble over the serial port. The gimble just wants to
know a degree setting off of its north which will be the degrees off
of the screens center to just go there.  I need a transparent window
because I wish to use Google Earth, A compass, etc as overlays so that
I can click on an oriented object and have the mic go there with a
simple click. What is the most simple program to pull off this task???
I don't see Java will allow me to write to a serial port and the price
tag on visual basic is high if this turns out to be a bad choice.

Maybe a bit outside this groups normal post but I recall a few
programmers on this list and the goal is clearly natural sound recording.

Rich Peet

--- In  "Rich Peet" <> wrote:

> Arrived on the door step this am was 8 three demensional sat motor
> drive units with software to track on three demensions.
>
> Neat stuff. Now what do I want to track with sound with this kind of
> stuff. This stuff is worth thousands.
>
> New game town looking for new application. Looking for ideas?
>
> Any ideas?

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."