Re: comparing mic specifications...

Subject: Re: comparing mic specifications...
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Wed Jul 5, 2006 7:19 am (PDT)
In retrospect my "apparent noise vs. 1 mPa" isn't saying anything new, and=

the methods of the Rane page (using lookup tables) or the
microphone-data.com article (doing calculations in a form) are identical in=

that they both include the effect of sensitivity in calculating the output=

noise of a mic.

All my apparent noise does is scale that same number down to where we
typically hear it when the preamp gain is cranked up. Pretty useless for
comparing mics, I'll admit, but I thought maybe the numbers will help
newbies understand just where the noise is likely to fall, in hopes of
lowering the "full-gain disappointment factor" we all felt when we heard th=
noise of our first expensive mic at high gain.

Bruce Wilson KF7K
http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson